Thursday, October 25, 2007

So much for that

Yesterday was the big 100 game SnG challenge. I ended up playing 119 of them and learnt a couple of important lessons in the process.

I got off to a late start with the challenge due to a couple of unforeseen commitments. I was still determined to achieve my goal of playing 100 SnG's so decided to 9 table the $17 turbos to catch back up. Playing 9 tables is ok to start off with, but once you start getting down to the last 4 or 5 players it's easy to start making costly mistakes by not having enough time to make the correct decisions. I persevered with the 9 tables for about 30 SnG's hoping I would get used to it before realizing that I couldn't keep up. Lesson # 1: Don't play more tables than you can comfortably manage.

I then moved back to 6 tables for about 30 more $17 turbos before I decided that 7 tables was the perfect number for me. In this time I suffered a series of bad beats that I won't bore you with. For the next 20 games I thought that I'd have a go at the $27 turbos to try and get back a few of my loses (never a good idea). I did ok at the $27 turbos and the level of competition is only slightly higher than the $17's. I was still determined to hit the 100 mark, but was starting to get tired and lost a lot of focus, so returned to the $17 turbos. By this stage I was way to unfocused and started shoving chips in bad spots costing me more money. Lesson #2: Don't play when you are tired and lost focus.

I must have counted wrong, because I finished up playing 119 SnG's for the day. I obviously lost money, but am glad that I did it. I said that was what I was going to do for the day, and I did it. For anyone wanting a laugh here is my days spreadsheet:

As you can see I ended up $180 poorer for my efforts. Not the end of the world but it was a bit of a waste of time. I'm not sure what to do now. I wanted to play SnG's to have a break from the cash games, but yesterday seems to have got the desire for SnG's out of my system. Might play some MTT's today and see if I feel ready to go back to cash games tomorrow. Good luck at the tables all

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's slow, but I have a huge up-turn in my results since I dropped down from 4-6 tabling SnG's down to just two. Although it's slow I am making much better reads and plays that I wouldn't have made if i was still multi-tabling so many tables.

Anyway, gl in the MTT's!

Dazza said...

I don't know if I could play only 2, I think my mind might start wondering a bit, I was going to have a go at the 18 player SnG's, but there wasn't enough of them starting to keep 7 going at once. One day i'll give them a go, might see you there.