Monday, October 22, 2007

Back to my roots

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I spent a lot of time down at the Indy track watching the car racing going on this weekend at the Gold Coast. I didn't play to much poker. The weather is starting to really heat up where I live in surfers paradise, and the lure of the beach and bars is a lot stronger than the lure of the poker tables for me at the moment.

Over the last few months I have been grinding out a ton of hands at the NL100 cash games. I haven't felt confident and ready to move up to the NL200 games yet, so things have started to get a bit boring continuing to grind away at NL100. The main reason I haven't moved to the NL200 games is that I don't feel mentally prepared to go through a large downswing. If I hit a bad patch initially at the NL200 games I could easily go down $2000 or $3000. While I realize that over the long term things would work out ok, I am not prepared to risk that sum of money currently. Once I start playing NL200, I have no interest in moving back down to NL100 if things run bad. That is why I want to be 100% ready and confident before making the move.

Because of this I feel like taking a couple of weeks break from the grind of NL100. I was thinking of playing tournaments for a couple of weeks, and still might, but even though I have won a few in the past, tourneys frustrate me. This is the last thing I need, so I am considering playing Sit'n'Gos for a couple of weeks for a nice change. It has been ages since I last played a SnG, but I did use to play a lot of them and looking up Sharkscope my last stint at them was fairly successful.



My goal would be to initially play 6 to 9 SnGs at a time playing maybe 30 to 40 a day for the next two weeks. My goal would be to have a ROI over 15% at the end of two weeks. As I said, it has been a long time since I last played SnG's so I might be a bit rusty, and I don't know how much the level of competition has improved over the last year. I'm not sure if Standard or Turbo SnG's are the best option (any comments would be appreciated), but will probably start with Standards. I am also deciding whether to play on Stars or Full Tilt (again comments appreciated), since I am having a break, Full Tilt might be a nice change as I play nearly all of my poker on Stars currently. I'll keep a daily update going on this blog to show how my challenge is coming along.

If you ever start to get a bit bored playing poker it is essential to change things up a bit to keep it interesting. Either play a different game for a while, or play on a different site for a change. I think you will be surprised what a difference it will make to your normal game and results when you move back to it. If you not excited about your poker and playing at 100% each and every time, your results will suffer. Good luck at the tables all.

No comments: