Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I feel a big SnG day coming on

I've got the day off work, so my goal is to go hard at it and try and play 100 turbo SnG's for the day. I average 1 about every 6 minutes playing 7 tables so it will take me about 10 hours to complete. I'll have to break it into 3 three hour sessions. I don't normally like to play more than 5 hours in a day, but I'm really enjoying my SnG challenge and am in the mood. I'll give 9 tabling a go to see if I can speed up the process without impaction on my results to much.

I played a few last night, but ended up going out, so will make up for it today. I will post the results tomorrow. Wish my luck, Im sure I'll need it.

A guy on the 2 + 2 forums charted this graph of SBRugby's (one of the top online pros), full tilt poker results throughout this year. Check it out, this is one wild ride.

Today's Topic: So you want to go pro, part 2

For all you SnG players out there I thought I would do a spreadsheet of what you need to achieve to "go pro" playing SnG's. Again I am using Pokerstars for the figures, as I have played a lot of SnG's on there. Adding up the figures the bonus structure on Pokerstars is fairly average for SnG players, so you would probably be better off being a SnG pro on Full Tilt Poker. I am basing the figures on turbo SnG's as they are easier to multitable with mainly push or fold decisions involved a lot of the time. If playing 6 tables at once I seem to average one SnG every 7 minutes. I am basing the ROI figures on 14% for $16, 12% for $27, and 10% for $60, this seems to be the average for most pros. Obviously if you can play more than 6 tables at once then these figures can increase, but be aware that your ROI is likely to go down a bit at the same time.

I have included both the SnG and cash game spreadsheets to give a comparison.

As you can see it is quite feasible to become a online poker pro at relatively low levels and little risk if you dedicate yourself to learning the game. All you need is a very even temperament, the ability to concentrate for long periods of time, and a real love of poker, and there is always that hope that you might become the next world champion one day. If you are interested in obtaining the above goals my suggestion to start out at the low level SnG's, always keeping a bankroll of a minimum 100 buy-ins, and increase your multi-tabling up to 6 at a time. Keep detailed records and once you are beating that level for more than 14% ROI over 1000 SnG's, and have over 100 buy-ins for the next level, then move up. Good luck.

I've got to rush and start my SnG quest. Will give you the results tomorrow.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet write-up and graph. Definitely very inspiring. Just out of curiosity, how did you arrive at the 14% ROI as the goal in order to be able to move up in limits?

Good luck with the SnG's today. I'll be looking forward to reading how it went.

Dazza said...

2 + 2 forums did a study of players who had played a large # of SnG's and from that data the following ROI % were an indication of good SnG player:

$6 - 16%
$16 - 14%
$27 - 12%
$60 - 10%
$114 - 8%
$225 - 6%

From myself playing a lot of SnG's these figures seem fairly accurate. So if you can't beat the lower level for that much then you will probaly struggle at the next level up. Obviously this % will decrease as you go up the levels.
For those on you not sure what ROI stands for it is "return on investment" and is calculated by ROI = net win / amount wagered.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I'll have to remember that. You don't happen to have a link to that study by any chance do you? I'd love to read it myself.