Friday, August 17, 2007

The Stars Bloodbath

Moved back to Pokerstars to continue with my Supernova quest. I got totally slaughtered today. Sets vs higher sets. Everyone hitting their draws etc. I really think that the level of play in the NL100 and above cash games is just that bit higher at Pokerstars than elsewhere. This leaves me with a real dilemma. I have just over 80000 vpp's so only need another 20000 to reach supernova. I was really looking forward to the perks that come with Supernova, but with the tables being so tight and aggressive, is Pokerstars the place I want to call home? I guess I'll battle through to 100000 and then decide.

Today's Topic: Don't tap the glass (looking after the fish).

With the general level of play improving across the board in poker, the true fish(bad player) is getting hard to come by. That is why it amazes me that when one finally decides to do his best to throw his money away, he often gets abused and berated by experienced players. If someone calls your all-in bet with a 3% chance of winning the hand, then hits his miracle card on the river, you should be congratulating and encouraging him. If he didn't win the occasional hand he would either give up on poker fairly quickly, or make a bigger effort to improve his game. Why abuse and let him know he only had a 3% chance of winning? All this encourages him to do is change his play next time. Let him have his odd bit of luck, say "nice hand" and move on to the next deal.

If you don't do your best as a winning play to make the game as enjoyable and fun as possible for the losing players, they will soon give up on poker and spend their money on other forms of entertainment. Remember that is what poker is to most people, a form of entertainment. It costs them money, but it is something they enjoy doing. The day it stops being enjoyable, is the day that there will be no losing players to donate their hard earned cash to you.

It is every winning player's duty to encourage and entertain the losing players, not berate and teach them the math's of the game.

Today's Link:

Today's link is a great Raw Vegas video from the WSOP lifestyle show, where they ask the promo girls if they know the meaning of common poker terms like "flop the nuts". Link here.

Have a great weekend everyone, and make sure you "Flop the nuts" every chance you get.

2 comments:

pokertaswegian said...

G'day mate,
I saw ya blog listed on raise the river and thought I would have a bit of a look around...Nice work.

Here is mine

http://thepokertaswegian.blogspot.com/

I would appreciate a link

Dazza said...

Thanks mate,
I'm hoping get a blog list up and running this week, so will add yours in.